Even though this is posted on my internal wiki, I figured I’d post it here for posterity.
This document outlines my personal career goals as they currently stand, as well as related academic goals that inform these goals.
- Apply my personal mantra, “everything is interconnected”, to information management and sustainability and understand how these fields infiltrate and influence everyday decisions.
- Work in a collaborative rather than an isolated environment.
- When possible, incite change. When impossible, make possible.
- Serve as teaching assistant for an undergraduate course.
- Assist in the learning process of my fellow students; learning is not competition.
Topic-Specific Goals: Information Management
- Understand how information is ethically and professionally handled and embody these standards in my own work.
- Understand the paradigms behind information organization.
- Actively consider issues of information fragmentation, information overload, and information sustainability.
- Place human use of information first.
- Promote information accessibility.
- Participate in relevant national professional associations.
Topic-Specific Goals: Environmental Sustainability
- Significantly contribute to thinking and dialog about environmental sustainability and environmental policy.
- Understand the relationship between information and sustainable action.
- Promote corporate and public environmental stewardship.
- Recognize that sustainability is not achieved in a void. Promote cross-political and interdisciplinary sustainable initiatives.
“I never saw a Democratic mountain or a Republican glacier.” – Daniel J. Evans
- Influence organizational thinking and action around sustainable ideals.