For recommendations, please review my LinkedIn profile using the navigation bar on the right-hand side of the screen. A plain text version is also available.
Peter Ellis735B Desoto Ave., Tumwater, WA 98512 - me at petercellis dot com
Master of Science in Information Management - June 2009
University of Washington (UW), Seattle, WA; Cumulative GPA: 3.78
Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Computer Science/Writing - June 2006
The Evergreen State College (TESC), Olympia, WA
The Overlake School, Redmond, WA, 2001
Content Management Systems
- Semantic MediaWiki
- SharePoint 2007 (Advanced, 1 yrs experience)
- Server Administration
- Information Architecture
Data Architecture and Design
- XML (Intermediate, 2 yrs experience)
- XPath (Intermediate, 2 yrs experience)
- XSLT (Intermediate, 2 yrs experience)
- MSSQL (Intermediate)
- MySQL (Advanced)
- Postgres (Beginner)
- SQL (Intermediate)
- C (Beginner, 1.25 yrs experience)
- C++ (Beginner, 1 yrs experience)
- Haskell (Beginner, 0.5 yrs experience)
- Java (Beginner, 0.5 yrs experience)
- PHP (Advanced, 13 yrs experience)
- PHPUnit (Beginner, 0.4 yrs experience)
- Zend Framework (Beginner, 0.4 yrs experience)
- Ruby on Rails (Beginner, 0.1 yrs experience)
- uniPaaS (Intermediate, 2 yrs experience)
- jQuery (Intermediate, 3 yrs experience)
- UI Management Frameworks
- bash shell scripting
- CVS (Beginner)
- Git (Beginner, 0 yrs experience)
- Perforce (Beginner, 1 yrs experience)
- Subversion (Intermediate)
- Information architecture
- Agile development (currently a certified ScrumMaster) (Beginner, 1 yrs experience)
- regular expressions
Senior System Support Analyst (ITS6)
Washington State Administrative Office of the Courts, Olympia, WA (June 21, 2016 - PRESENT)
- Continued duties as described below.
Systems Integrator (ITS5)
Washington State Administrative Office of the Courts, Olympia, WA (February 6, 2012 - June 20, 2016)
- Technical lead for all uniPaaS-based applications in the agency. Focused on providing mission-critical programming and maintenance support for the Adult Static Risk Assessment (ASRA) and Juvenile and Corrections System (JCS), statewide tools utilized by Washington courts for offender management and assessment.
- Duties supporting those applications include new software functionality planning and implementation, stakeholder interviews across divisions within the Administrative Office of the Courts, infrastructure maintenance of Windows Server 2008 and uniPaaS backends, release management, system availability management, build automation via Apache Ant, code optimization, and tier-two technical support. During the legislative session, additional responsibilities for assessing impact of legislative bills on uniPaaS-based applications. Responsible for user experience design reviews and user-centered design practices, including major enhancements and revisions of existing functionality.
- In addition to primary application support responsibilities, serves as member of the Administrative Office of the Courts Web Team, providing expertise where needed, particularly in the realm of web standards, usability, user experience, information architecture, and search configuration.
- Lead in integration efforts during the Superior Court Case Management System replacement project, responsible for ensuring continued JCS and ASRA functionality during the replacement of the Superior Court Management Information System (SCOMIS), a more than 35 year old system, as the legal system of case records. Responsible for technical assessment of solutions for integration with the new system of record, Tyler Odyssey.
Software Developer (Scientist Level I)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory/Battelle, Richland, WA (August 2009 - January 2012)
- Provided application development support in clean object-oriented C for APBS, a molecular solution solver software suite.
- Provided PHP web applications development and support for the Knowledge Encapsulation Framework and Geological Sequestration Software Suite (GS3), leading new functionality initiatives and acting as a usability/user experience advocate.
- Previously provided technical documentation support for IN-SPIRE, an information analysis and discovery tool targeted at text documents, as well as client requirements drafting support for several projects.
- Contributor to a proposal for a centralized developer resource called Developer Central, providing a central space for source control, issue management, and the advancement of developer concerns throughout the Lab.
TIER Desktop and Customer Support Graduate Student Assistant
University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle, WA (October 2008 - June 2009)
- Second-tier web support focusing primarily on Moodle coding and support, as well as content management systems assessment and maintenance.
- Database and PHP applications developer within the web team, focusing on translating user and organizational needs into concrete applications.
- Third place winner of inaugural TIER Challenge, a call for proposals to improve the processes and activities of the School's IT unit.
- Responsible for server rebuilds of Moodle (supporting 5,000 users/week), Cerberus Helpdesk (supporting 25 end users and 600 e-mail users), and test installs of Microsoft SharePoint and Drupal. Created build scripts and assisted in systems configuration, debugging, and customization.
Administrative Intern 3
Washington State Department of Information Services, Computer Services Division, Olympia, WA (July 2008 - September 2008)
- Collaborated with design and production support teams to configure and document SharePoint 2007 farms and related infrastructure.
- Worked extensively with internal Department of Information Services (DIS) stakeholders on SharePoint information architecture and best practice formulation.
- Lead coordinator for Avamar backup appliance proof of concept exercise under the supervision of DIS technicians. Included test plan creation and execution, as well as cross-agency communication when needed.
SharePoint Administrator (Graduate Student Assistant)
University of Washington Information School, Seattle, WA (July 2007 - June 2008)
- Responsible for software administrative duties surrounding the Information School's SharePoint presence.
- Participated in planning and implementation activities for new intranet service using SharePoint 2007. This included user interviews, policy creation, and hands-on network and server administration, as well as metadata and information architecture generation and codification.
- Primary point of contact for user support issues surrounding SharePoint.
Information Technology Manager
The Evergreen State College Writing Center, Olympia, WA (August 2006 - June 2007)
- Responsible for providing general technical support for the Writing Center.
- Maintained PCs and Macs, responsible for technology audit, formulation of technology budget, grant proposals, and technology-oriented staff development.
- Maintained Writing Center web site, Drupal-based staff portal, e-mail distribution lists, and appointment system code.
- Helped design curriculum for The Practice of Professional Tutoring, a yearly one-quarter program that teaches the act, art, and philosophy of tutoring others.
Logo Lab Aide
The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA (April 2005 - June 2005)
- Aide for Designing Languages and Algebra to Algorithms programs.
- Responsible for proofreading labs and creating a solution before the lab time.
- Utilizing Writing Center tutoring skills, guided students through the lab exercises.
The Evergreen State College Writing Center, Olympia, WA (September 2003 - June 2006)
- Tutored students in the art and process of writing. Routinely covered such topics as paper organization, grammar, thesis and topic development, and paper flow.
- Developed new appointment system in PHP/MSSQL as part of a two-person development team. The program used the ADOdb wrapper classes for database abstraction. Coding utilized Concurrent Versions System and the Eclipse IDE.
- Developed PHP/PostgreSQL software supporting the Writing Center's web site.
Web Site Manager
The Evergreen State College Web Team, Olympia, WA (January 2003 - June 2007)
- Primarily managed web site content and layout for the College's Writing Center.
- Temporary management of the College's Access Services web site.
- Coordinated site template switchovers and template beta testing with Web Team utilizing Macromedia's Dreamweaver MX.
- Responsible for content, layout, planning meetings, and staff coordination.
- Developed PHP/PostgreSQL applications for Writing Center's online handout library and request forms.
Freelance Web Designer/Founder
naturalaxis, Seattle, WA (June 1999 - October 2007)
- Developed firm's account management system.
- Upheld high standards for content and design layout.
- Utilized an interactive and client-centric design and content creation process.
- Oversaw all marketing and promotional outreach.
- Utilized HTML, PHP, CSS, MySQL, and PostgreSQL in various projects.
- Hired as interim network administrator for Seattle Girls' School, June - July 2003.
Activities and Honors
- Green Computing Special Interest Group, University of Washington, May 2008 - June 2009
- Technology Officer, Association for Information Management Students, University of Washington Information School, March 2008 - April 2009 (inaugural officer)
- Student Representative, Enrollment Coordination Committee, The Evergreen State College, 2002 - 2006
- Student Representative, Enrollment Growth Disappearing Task Force, The Evergreen State College, 2004 - 2005
- Outstanding Performance Award for software development support to the Foundation Scientific Focus Area wiki project, 2011.
- Outstanding Performance Award for software development support to the Rail Portal Monitoring Project, 2010.
- Eastside Journal Newspaper's Most Inspirational Graduate, Class of 2001
Workshops, Seminars, Conferences, and Conference Presentations
- Association for Information Science and Technology Webinar: Contextual Inquiry: A Must-Have Method For Your User Research Toolbox (April 16, 2014)
- Earlet and Associates Webinar: 5 Things You Need to Do to Get Search Right (April 9, 2014)
- IPMA Professional Development: Mobile Application Development in State Agencies, Lacey, WA (January 30, 2014)
- IPMA Professional Development: The Agile Transformation Story – Real World Experiences, Lacey, WA (October 24, 2013)
- IPMA Annual Town Hall Meeting - Mobility in Washington State Government, Lacey, WA (August 21, 2013)
- WA State Department of Enterprise Services Training: SharePoint 2010 Designer Web Site Design, Lacey, WA (August 6, 2013 - August 7, 2013)
- Earley and Associates Webinar: Business Taxonomies 101 (July 10, 2013)
- Information Processing Management Association (IPMA) Professional Development: "What To Do When" - Security Incident Detection, Handling, and Analysis, Lacey, WA (June 19, 2013)
- Earley and Associates Webinar: From Application To Enterprise – Does Your Information Architecture Scale? Session 2 - Enterprise-wide SharePoint Deployment: Mobilizing User Involvement (June 12, 2013)
- Earley and Associates Webinar: From Application To Enterprise – Does Your Information Architecture Scale? Session 1 - Enterprise Information Architecture (June 5, 2013)
- Earley and Associates Webinar: SharePoint Information Architecture – Translating the Abstract into the Actionable (May 1, 2013)
- 2012 Governor's Office Social Media Summit, Olympia, WA (November 5, 2012)
- InfoCamp Seattle 2012, Seattle, WA (October 13, 2012 - October 14, 2012)
- InfoCamp Seattle 2011, Seattle, WA (October 8, 2011 - October 9, 2011)
- CodeWorks 2010, Seattle, WA (November 9, 2010)
- InfoCamp Seattle 2010, Seattle, WA (October 2, 2010 - October 3, 2010)
- SolutionsIQ Certified ScrumMaster Training, Richland, WA (June 8, 2010 - June 9, 2010)
- InfoCamp Seattle 2009,
Seattle, WA (October 10, 2009 - October 11, 2009)
- Presentation: Separating Problems From Software In Technology Based Conversations
- Presentation: Information Evangelism And Environmental Sustainability: Crossing Boundaries
- Edward Tufte: Presenting Data and Information, Seattle, WA (April 28, 2009)
- Seattle Green Festival 2009, Seattle, WA (March 28, 2009 - March 29, 2009)
- Future Practice Webinar: Getting to the Point Quickly with Sustainable Design by Nathan Shedroff (March 25, 2009)
- Future Practice Webinar: Modern Web Form Design by Luke Wroblewski (November 13, 2008)
- InfoCamp Seattle 2008, Seattle, WA (September 27, 2008 - September 28, 2008)
- GOVERNING Managing Technology Conference, Seattle, WA (May 28, 2008 - May 30, 2008)
- Seattle Green Festival 2008, Seattle, WA (April 12, 2008 - April 13, 2008)
- 2007 Pacific Northwest Writing Centers Association Conference,
Bellingham, WA (April 28, 2007)
- Presentation: How a System Birthed Dialogs: The Place of Technology in Writing Centers, presented with Sandra Yannone, Director of the Writing Center, The Evergreen State College
- 2006 Pacific Northwest Writing Centers Association Conference,
Corvallis, OR (April 29, 2006)
- Presentation: Philosophical Approaches to Writing Center Web Sites
- ( )
- Desouza, K., Ellis, P. (Forthcoming). "Sustainable Idea Management in Academia: Free Textbooks for Students by Students". Information Technology for Development.
- Desouza, K., Ellis, P. (December 2009). "On Information Management, Environmental Sustainability, and Cradle to Cradle Mentalities". Business Information Review: 26(4), 257-264.
- Bell, E., Cowell, A., Ellis, P., Fligg, A., Gregory, M., Jensen, R., McGrath, L., O'Hara, K. (2010). "Collaborative Knowledge Discovery & Marshalling for Intelligence & Security Applications". IEEE (IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics - ISI 2010), 233-238.
- Dixon, W., Ellis, P., Sheth, A. (2008). "Implementation". In Change Management (ch. 7). Global Text Project: http://globaltext.terry.uga.edu/home.
- Information Processing Management Association (IPMA) Membership (August 2012 - January 2020)
- Association for Computing Machinery Professional Membership (February 1, 2007 - January 31, 2014)
- Management of Data (SIGMOD) (January 2012 - January 31, 2013)
- Hypertext, Hypermedia, and Web (SIGWEB) (February 2010 - January 31, 2011)
- Computer-Human Interaction (SIGCHI) (October 2007 - January 31, 2014)
- Design of Communication (SIGDOC) (February 2013 - January 31, 2014)
- Computers and Society (SIGCAS) (October 2007 - January 31, 2010)
- Management Information Systems (October 2007 - January 31, 2009)
- American Society for Information Science and Technology Professional Membership (December 2011 - December 2013)
- Knowledge Management (KM) (December 2011 - December 2013)
- Management (MGT) (December 2012 - December 2013)
- American Society for Information Science and Technology Professional Membership (February 2012 - February 28, 2013)
- Knowledge Management (February 2012 - February 28, 2013)
- Information Architecture Institute Student Membership (February 2008 - February 28, 2010)
- Association for Computing Machinery Student Membership (January 2006 - February 1, 2007)
Available upon request.